What Does A Family Lawyer Do?
Q) What Is Family Law?
A) Family law is an area of legal practice that includes domestic and family matters. Some of the main areas of family law that are most commonly handled by family law attorneys include:
- Divorce: The dissolution of a marriage, including the division of assets.
- Alimony: Payments sometimes ordered by Family Court to be paid during or after a divorce, from a former spouse with more ability to support themselves financially to a former spouse with less ability to support themselves financially.
- Prenuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements: Agreements entered into by both parties that dictate the division of assets in the event of a divorce.
- Child Custody and Visitation: Cases deciding which parent gets custody of shared children, as well as visitation schedules for non-custodial parents.
- Child Support: Issues affecting child support payments, which are usually ordered from a non-custodial parent to a custodial parent.
- Domestic Violence: Cases where one member of a household, family, or intimate relationship is accusing another of abuse.
Q) What Does A Family Law Attorney Do For Their Clients?
A) A family law attorney does many things on behalf of their clients. This includes:
- Consultation and Strategy: A family law attorney has the knowledge and experience to properly evaluate your case and consult with you on your next best steps. They can map out a strategy for your case that will give you the best possible outcome. They can also explain the process you will go through as your case proceeds, and lay out exactly how things will happen from beginning to end.
- Emotional Support: Family law attorneys understand that their clients are often going through very difficult periods in their lives. They are very familiar with the unique difficulties and frustrations experienced by people in these very intimate conflicts. They can be there as someone who understands where you’re coming from, and who can help advocate for you with your best interest at heart.
- Filing, Paperwork, and Legal Navigation: Dealing with any legal matter often means navigating the many complexities, timelines, and structures of the legal system. This includes filing all necessary paperwork correctly, completely, and promptly. Understanding what you need to do in this context can be incredibly difficult if not impossible for someone who is not familiar with the Family Court system and the legal system in general. A family law attorney can be your liaison and ensure that your case is not harmed by incorrect or past-due paperwork.
- Evidence Gathering and Consulting Expert Witnesses: One of the main obligations of a family law attorney is to gather and properly utilize evidence in each of their cases. Evidence strengthens a case, and becomes absolutely essential if a case makes it to the courtroom. In addition, family law attorneys are often connected to a network of expert witnesses who can help bolster your case, such as forensic accountants and child psychologists.
- Negotiation and Mediation: Another major element of family law cases is negotiation and mediation outside of a courtroom setting. Taking a case to court can cost all parties a significant amount of time, energy, and money. It is often the best-case scenario for the parties to be able to figure out a workable solution to their case outside of a courtroom. A family law attorney will be able to serve as your advocate during these negotiation processes, and will fight hard for the things that are most important to you.
- Litigation: If a case truly cannot be solved without taking it to court, a family law attorney will fight on your behalf. Having an attorney represent your case in Court is essential if you really want the best possible shot in a Family Court case. Family attorneys know how high the stakes are in these cases, and come to courtroom litigation prepared to argue their clients’ case tenaciously.
Get legal representation and advice about your Family Law concerns from Attorney Margaret L. Webb, an experienced and compassionate professional who will give you the personalized attention you need to help you resolve important family matters. While many legal issues affect all families, such as financial and estate matters, other families are in distress and may seek a divorce or separation as an answer to their difficulties.
Our Family Law attorney works closely with clients to help them decide which legal strategies will offer the best results. For some couples, a legal Separation or Divorce becomes the best answer to relationship problems. For parents who believe a divorce is their ultimate solution, there still are additional family related legal issues to resolve, including child custody, support and visitation.
The ultimate goal of a family law attorney is to get the best possible outcome for their client, and everything they do works toward that goal.
Are you looking for a family law attorney in Dorr, Michigan? Dorr Family Law Attorney Margaret Webb is ready to help. Reach out to Attorney Webb at Legacy Legal and Business Services, PLC for a free consultation on your case. Don’t wait! Call (616) 681-4042 today.
ATTORNEY MARGARET L. WEBB
Allegan and Kent County Attorney Margaret L. Webb dedicated her law office services to helping people who need experienced, individualized legal counsel and representation. She has helped many couples get past a troublesome and stressful Divorce or Separation. Estate Planning, Criminal Defense, Business Services and Bankruptcy are also offered to her Michigan clients at her private practice, Legacy Legal & Business Services PLC, in Dorr, MI.
ALLEGAN FAMILY LAWYER
The following Family Law client services are offered by our Allegan Family Lawyer, in addition to Estate Planning and general Business services:
- Child Custody
- Family Law
As an Allegan Family Lawyer, Margaret L. Webb helps couples work through family issues, with special concerns for minor children. She understands how difficult breaking up a family unit is on all members, from children to grandparents. Margaret L. Webb helps families with children develop solid parenting plans, and to find affordable solutions to complex legal problems.
KENT COUNTY LEGACY LEGAL & BUSINESS SERVICES
Many Family Law issues overlap into other areas of legal concern, such as financial and business matters. Sometimes Bankruptcy is the best answer to financial difficulties, but in other cases, debt relief comes in the form of a repayment plan. Estate Planning and Business Services are areas of law where this attorney and her goals to provide a “Practice with a Purpose” meet the needs of people seeking relief from financial problems, litigation or other stressful problems.